Yesterday afternoon, I dug in and did some 'maintenance' in the garden.
First, I picked all the tomatoes that were close to ripe. I also removed a lot of the bad fruits and tossed them into the compost heap. The good ones were put on a table on the back porch. We'll be 'saucing' them.
The green beans were basically a failure this year. We were able to get a couple of good messes to eat, but weren't able to grow enough to can. The drought was just too much for them. So, I took down the short poultry netting fence I had erected around the beans to keep the rabbits out. I rolled it up and put it away, along with the electric fence posts I had hung the wire on. I then pulled all the drying plants, stripped the vines off the bean poles and piled all the vegetation in a heap. Then I pulled up all the beanpoles and stacked them up off the ground next to the shed for use next year.
Next, I pulled back the straw mulch all along the rows and also down along where I'd pulled all the onions a few weeks ago. I hoed up a nice long row and sowed turnip seed. If they germinate well, there should be plenty to store and use. We don't use a whole lot of turnips, but they are good once in a while, cooked along with mashed potatoes. Of course, they're good raw too!
I pulled a few turnips from an earlier planting and picked a few bell peppers. So now, the garden is caught up and we're just waiting to see the turnip seed sprout.