27 April 2012

Cool Weather

Well, I should have known.  After listening to a couple of neighbors talk about how they had some tomato plants that had set fruit, I decided I should at least get a few plants set out.  I did.  Two nights later, I was digging around in the shop looking for boxes and buckets to cover the young plants to protect them from the frost that was forecast.

I have a dozen Celebrity and half a dozen Viva Italia paste tomatoes out.  There are also a few bell pepper and jalepeno pepper plants braving the cool temperatures.

In our area, the average date of the last frost is about 10 May.  I have a hard time resisting the urge to get some plants out early, especially when it has been as mild as this spring has been.

I know, though, from experience that plants that are set out later soon catch up with those that were set out earlier, in the cooler soil and temperatures.  Maybe next year, I'll remember that!  Maybe, I won't be in such a rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment